Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Start Where You Are

Last week I met one-on-one with three students to discuss where they are in life and where they are headed. The discussions were loaded and full of unpacking and processing the details that have constituted their life up until this point.

In my last post, “What’s Keeping You From Being Great?” I suggested working through a few personal details that will ultimately position you towards success. In this post I’ll walk you through the pinnacle of these details.

Knowing your purpose.

According to Napoleon Hill, there are three clear ingredients necessary for success:
  1. A defined purpose.
  2. A burning desire.
  3. A definite plan.

Most of us can define our passions- what we love doing, what inspires us and what excites us -and most of us can make plans, but we get hung up at step one. Defining our purpose.

What do you want to do? How do you want to contribute? What story do you want to tell? What legacy do you want to leave?

Defining your purpose is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. Answering these questions requires that we really know ourselves. It takes guts and unwavering courage demanding deliberate decision making. It’s risky.

But it’s worth the risk. If you move through life not knowing what you want and why you want it, you’ll never arrive at the destination you desire. Once you’re confident in what you will accomplish, nothing, absolutely nothing will stand your way.

When I chat with others about how I arrived where I am today as a student, young professional and freelance photographer I share with them how I defined my purpose.

In the winter and spring of 2009 I experienced a season of focus and self examination. This preparation, this bare bone honestly led to taking drastic steps in health, education, and personal development.

My purpose isn’t to make photographs, launch websites, design publications, send invoices or answer emails.

My purpose is to develop. My purpose is to inspire and motivate anyone and everyone who will listen to achieve their purpose. I believe I can make a difference. I believe that the only way to be truly fulfilled is to help others along the way. Once I established my purpose, I worked backwards to turn that purpose into reality.

So today, if you’re unsure of your purpose, take a step back and think about the big picture. Don’t hold back. Think big and dream even bigger.

You have the three keys to success: a defined purpose, a burning desire and a definite plan. Start with step one. The only thing holding you back is yourself. And there’s no better time than now.

What’s your purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment