Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Divorce Court Is Like A Job Search

During our final stretch of winter break, I was sitting in the Owasso Public Library hustling through work for a client and completing a final push for my latest brand.

Sitting at the table next to me was a man facing a many of life's obstacles. Rightfully so, he was droning through several loud phone calls about his recent divorce. Oddly, it was a bit captivating until he began a laundry list of why he is a victim:
  • I'm a traveling sales agent
  • We're in a struggling economy
  • I've lost my confidence
  • I'm not making commissions
  • I can't predict my income
All true, all valid (especially those tied to emotions of loss) and all are within his control.

Sometimes it feels so right to assign blame to circumstances or individuals but this will get you nowhere in the job hunt. Blaming will keep you stuck in neutral.

Unfortunately many turn to blame.

This semester commit to personal accountability. Choose to be responsible for the actions (both positive and negative) that you take. A great book to read on this subject is QBQ!: the question behind the question. It examines the nature of personal accountability and gives insight to “blame” that is spot-on.

So there you have it. The first book reccomendation of this project. There will be more to come and I'll even review a few. What have you read that has made a lasting impact?

No comments:

Post a Comment